Advantages of Heat pumps
There are many reasons why you should consider having a heat pump in your home.
- Comfort. Many homes in Auckland are damp. A damp home is not a pleasant home. Things get mouldy and the dampness makes the air feel colder than it really is. It also is unhealthy living in damp conditions and many people find themselves getting more colds than they would otherwise get. Some people find that dampness triggers rheumatism. A heat pump can be set to dry the air. It will work just like a dehumidifier and extract the dampness out of the air within your home.
- Warmth. Another common feature of many Auckland homes is that for much of the year they are cold, particularly if they don't get much sun. A heat pump is a very effective way to heat your home. You can set your heat pump to come on automatically before you wake up so that cold mornings are a thing of the past. Likewise you can set it so it comes on before you get home from work. Imagine coming in from a wet cold Auckland evening to a nice dry and warm home.
- Economical. Warming your home with a heat pump is cheaper than using gas, cheaper than using an oil column heater, cheaper than using an electric bar heater, cheaper than using firewood (unless you have free firewood), cheaper than coal, cheaper than diesel, cheaper than wood pellets. In other words it is the most economical way to heat your home.
- Automatic. A heat pump can be operated both manually and automatically. You can set your heat pump to come on at a particular time of the day. You can set your heat pump to come on whenever the temperature drops below a desired level. You can even set your heat pump to maintain a certain temperature within the home, like 20 degrees for instance. This means that it will not only heat your home when necessary but will also cool your home if it starts to get too hot.
- Quiet. We only sell heat pumps that are whisper quiet. Nothing is more distracting than the sound of a noisy fan and we make sure that we sell only the quietest models available.
- Green. Heat pumps are the most environmentally friendly way to heat your home. No greenhouse gases like gas, wood, or diesel. They also use only a quarter of the electricity that electric heaters use.
Disadvantages of Heat pumps
The great thing about heat pumps is that they don't really have any disadvantages other than they cost more to buy than say an electric bar heater, or an oil column heater. However this apparent disadvantage disappears when you look at the longer term cost. Please look at the case study to see why!